Please support our work, and join us out at Princeton's first nature preserve.
LEASING VEBLEN HOUSE AND COTTAGE
- Completed negotiations with Princeton to lease the Veblen House and Cottage, beginning early in 2020
NATURE PRESERVE STEWARDSHIP
- FOHW volunteers continue to care for 220 acres of public land at Herrontown Woods and Autumn Hill Reservation
- A very wet spring prompted many trail improvements towards making trails useable year-round
- Constructed a new trail through 7.5 acres of sloping woodland donated to Princeton in 2018 through FOHW’s initiative
- Botanical Garden: With ongoing care, we are transforming a forest opening into a sea of native wildflowers and grasses to feed summertime pollinators, with 100 native plant species.
- Collaborating with Town on control of invasive species
VEBLEN HOUSE AND COTTAGE
- Keeping buildings secure and dry
- Evaluating structures in preparation to begin repairs in 2020
- Converting window covers to shutters to expedite window repair.
- Redirecting runoff away from buildings and into attractive raingardens
- Grounds around house and cottage mowed, maintained, invasive plants removed, paths installed.
- Nurturing an edible forest of pawpaws, hazelnuts, butternuts, persimmons and plums.
EDUCATION AND OUTREACH:
- Girlscouts Cadette Troop 72905 installed interpretive signage telling the history of the Veblen House and Cottage
- Designed and produced educational flip cards for nature adventure backpacks available at the Princeton Public Library
- Ongoing research and website posts about nature and the fascinating history of Veblen House at VeblenHouse.org, FOHW.org, and PrincetonNatureNotes.org
- Renewing connections with local schools
- Regular nature walks led by area naturalists
- Hosted our second annual Oswald Veblen Birthday BBQ in June.
- New board members and some particularly engaged friends of the preserve are adding their energy and expertise to FOHW’s work.
- Had our second board “retreat” to develop strategic planning
- Additional progress towards our initial goal of raising $100,000.
Thanks to all who have contributed to making these achievements possible.